prim. Zoran Barčot dr. med.
Select one of the available appointments:
There are no appointments available for VideoDoc!
Select a service and contact your chosen doctor – expert
Video Call doctor Written consultation
Dr. Zoran Barčot, MD, F.E.B.P.S., consultant pediatric surgeon, has been a specialist in pediatric surgery since 1997, and since 2000 holds the prestigious UEMS Euro-license for Pediatric Surgery. He completed his postgraduate doctoral studies in Biomedicine and Health and Leadership & Management in Health Systems at the School of Medicine, University of Zagreb.
For many years he is the head of the Joint Emergency Hospital Admission Department of the Children’s Hospital Zagreb, formerly Emergency and Specialist Pediatric Surgical Service. He works at the Division of Traumatology, Burns, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery of the Department of the Pediatric Trauma of the Pediatric Surgery Clinic. In addition to caring for children with all urgent pediatric surgical conditions, his fields of expertise include: treatment of pediatric burns, pediatric plastic and reconstructive surgery, surgery of congenital hand and foot anomalies in children, surgery for various skin changes, vascular problems and naevi, the use of lasers in the treatment of vascular diseases and different types of scars. Thousands of satisfied small patients and their parents guarantee for the quality of his surgical care for small patients.
As a former professional basketball player and long-time certified sports physician at the basketball team Cibona and national basketball selections, he also deals with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of sports injuries and the problems of doping in sports. As a former member of the Educational Board of the World Anti-Doping Agency, the only one ever from the Republic of Croatia, is one of the founders of the Croatian Anti-Doping Agency. He is a Croatian veteran and a member of the Association of Homeland War Volunteer Doctors 1990-1991.
Children’s Hospital Zagreb:
- Specialist in pediatric surgery from 1998 to the present
- Head of the Emergency Surgical Service, General and Specialty Pediatric Surgical Clinic from 2002 - 2014
- Head of Joint Emergency Hospital Admission from 2014 to present
Department of Emergency Medicine, Zagreb: GP doctor on the field from 1990-1993.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- 2003 - 2005 postgraduate doctoral study MEF Zagreb: Biomedicine and health / 8.1 EKO
- 2002 - 2004 postgraduate doctoral study at the Andrija Štampar School of Economics, MEF Zagreb: Leadership and Management of Health Services / 8.1 EKO
- 1993. - 1997. Specialization in pediatric surgery, Children’s Hospital Zagreb / 7 ECO
- 1982 - 1987. Faculty of Medicine, University of Zagreb, Doctor of Medicine / 7 ECO
- 1977 - 1981 Health Education Center, Split, Physiotherapist / 4 ECO
ORGANIZATION OF CONGRESSES AND PROFESSIONAL MEETINGS
- 5 Croatian congresses of pediatric surgery with international participation - member of the Organizing Committee
- World Congress of Perinatal Medicine, Zagreb 2007, Member of the Organizing Committee
- Numerous meetings of the Croatian Society of Pediatric Surgery of the CML
- First World Congress of Pediatric Surgery, Zagreb 2004 - Chairman of the Organizing Committee
- Member of the Governing Board of the Clinic for Pediatric Diseases Zagreb from 2014 to the present
- Member of the Board of Directors of HADA / Croatian Anti-Doping Agency / 2007 - 2010
2000. Received EU license of section of European monospecialists "Certificate of completion of specialist
training in pediatric surgery (F.E.B.P.S.), UEMS - the European Board in Pediatric Surgery
Croatian Medical Chamber
Croatian Medical Association
Croatian Society for Pediatric Surgery of the Croatian Medical Association / Secretary-Treasurer 1997 - 2009
Croatian Society for Aesthetic, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery of the HLZ - Burn Section / Member
Board of Directors
HADA - Croatian Anti-Doping Agency 2007 to date / Doping Controller
UEMS - Pediatric Surgeons Section
EUPSA - European Union of Pediatric Surgeons
WADA - World Anti-Doping Agency, Education Commission, Montreal, Canada, 2004-2007
ISBI - International Society for Burn Injuries
EBA - European Burn Association
ABA - American Burn Association
ECPB - European Club for Pediatric Burns
HUZDUK - Croatian Basketball Doctors Association of the Croatian Basketball Federation
MAJOR PUBLISHED PAPERS IN INDEXED JOURNALS
- Barcot Z, Dakovic Bacalja I, Zupancic B, Bacalja V. Treating Giant Congenital Nevus With Integra Dermal Regeneration Template In A 9-Year-Old Girl. Int J Low Extrem Wounds. 2017 Jun; 16 (2): 143-145.
- Barcot Z, Kralj R, Kurtanjek M, Mataic A, Zupancic B. Five years of experience in the treatment of hand syndactyly and polydactyly with a focus on patient parent satisfaction. Paediatria Croatica. 2017; 61: 178-82.
- Barcot Z, Kralj R, Kurtanjek M, Zupancic B. Initial experience with topical negative pressure therapy in the treatment of pediatric burns. Doctor Vesn. 2016 Nov-Dec; 138 (11-12): 335-8.
- Kralj R, Barcot Z, Fuenzalida JAV, Kifer T, Butkovic D, Vukasovic I, Zupancic B. The scalp as a split-thickness graft donor in the treatment of massive thermal injury. Doctor Vesn. 2016 Jul-Aug; 138 (7-8): 200-3.
- Fibrin gel as a scaffold for skin substitute - production and clinical experience. Kljenak A, Tominac Trcin M, Bujic M, Dolenec T, Jevak M, Mrsic G, Zmis G, Barcot Z, Muljacic A, Popovic M. Acta Clin Croat. 2016 Jun; 55 (2): 279-89.
- Barcot Z, Zupancic B, Stritar A, Kralj R, Hrelec-Patrlj M, Barcot L. News in the treatment of burns in children. Medix. 2015; 21 115/116.
- Klobučar A, Jakušić N, Tomac A, Barčot Z, Hrelec-Patrlj M. Psychological aspects of the treatment of children and adolescents with severe burns. Medix. 2015; 21 115/116.
- Barčot Z, Barčot L. Burn injuries of children. Paediatr Croat. 2015; 59 (Supl 1): 202-7.
- Vrdoljak O, Bumči I, Car A, Župančić B, Bastić M, Barčot Z, Tufeković D, Vrdoljak J. Birth fractures of the femur. Paediatria Croatica. 2014; 58 (1)
- Lujic L, Mejaski Bosnjak V, Djuranovic V, Djakovic I, Kapovic AM, Barcot Z, Ivkovic Jurekovic I. Idiosyncratic side effects on aromatic antiepileptic drugs. Paediatria Croatica. 2013; 57 (2)
- Barcot Z, Zupancic B, Skaric I, Jakobovic J, Vrdoljak O. Center for treatment of burns in children as a part of the Reference Center for Pediatric Traumatology of the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare of the Republic of Croatia Children’s Hospital Zagreb, Clinical Hospital Center "Sisters of Mercy". Paediatria Croatica. 2011; 55 (4)
- Barcot Z, Kljenak A, Zupancic B, Skaric I, Jakobovic J. Pediatric burn surgery. Paediatria Croatica. 2011; 55 (4)
- Barčot Z, Župančić B. Pulsed dye laser treatment of vascular lesions in childhood. Acta Dermatovenerol Croat. 2010; 18 (3): 201-8.
- Skaric I, Barcot Z, Jakobovic J, Kondza K, Mikecin L, Vrtar Z. Epidemiology and treatment of severe burns in the intensive care unit of the Children’s Hospital Zagreb, 2003-2008. Paediatria Croatica 2010; 54: 3,139-42.
- Jakobovic J, Butkovic D, Popovic L, Bartolek D, Stanojevic M, Barcot Z. Reversal of thrombocytopenia and bleeding tendency in preterm neonates with recombinant activated factor VII: a case. Acta Clin Croat. 2010 Sep; 49 (3): 309-13.
- Fattorini I, Filipušić J, Barčot Z. Acute scrotum in childhood. Paediatria Croatica 1997; 41 (Supl 1): 203-7
- Barčot Z, Vrtar Z, Kljenak A, Bahtijarević Z, Župančić B. Congenital hand anomalies - basic treatment principles. Eur Surg. 2009; 41 (Suppl. 228)
- Barcot Z, Gardener Z, Kljenak A, Zupancic B, Fattorini I. The triphalangeal thumbs in a 4 year old girl. Eur Surg. 2006; 38 (Supl.208)
- Kljenak A, Barčot Z, Šainović S, Kašnar-Šamprec J, Žganjer M. A dancing graft concept (DGC) - the advantages of our new surgical technique in the treatment of deep burns in children. Paediatria Croatica 2006; 50: 149-52
- [PMC free article] [PubMed] 20. Jakobovic J, Lulic-Jurjevic R, Bartolek D, Kušt S, Radesic L, Barcot Z, Kljenak A. Comparison of pulse and blood pressure in children during the introduction to anesthesia with isoflurane and halothane. Paediatria Croatica 2005; 49: 85-7.
- Sparac V, Stilinovic K, Ilijas M, Barcot Z, Kupesic S, Prka M, Bauman R, Kurjak A. Vaginal aplasia associated with anatomically and functionally normal uterus. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2004 Jul 15; 115 (1): 110-12.
- Cala Z, Perko Z, Barcot Z, Fattorini I, Velnic D, Rasic Z. Pediatric laparoscopic surgery. Paediatria Croatica 1997; 41: 3-4,199-201.
ACKNOWLEDGMENTS AND AWARDS
2019. Ladislav Rakovac Croatian Medical Association Award
2015. Charter of the Croatian Medical Association
2008. Thank you note from the Croatian Medical Association
2005. Diploma of the Croatian Medical Association
2006 Project of the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports of the Republic of Croatia No. 1008: Production of skin grafts in vitro, associate member of research team
2000. International clinical trial: a randomized, double-blind, multicenter clinical study comparing analgesic efficacy and safety of intravenously administered tramadol and morphine in the treatment of postoperative pain in children - team leader in Croatia and principal investigator
COMPLETED POSTGRADUATE COURSES
- 2016. Skin Days, Dublin, Ireland
- 2014. International course of burns and life support, Šibenik - invited lecturer
- 2009. Organization of burn care in Croatia and modern burn treatment, Split - invited lecturer
- 2006. Sport traumatology, Zagreb - invited lecturer
- 2006. Treatment of pain in children, Zagreb
- 2001. News in Plastic Surgery, Zagreb
- 1999. Plastic surgery - nodes and local lobes, Zagreb
- 1999. Minimally invasive surgery - the gold standard of the third millennium, Zagreb
- 1998. Principles of plastic and reconstructive facial surgery, Zagreb
- 1996. Minimally Invasive Coronary Surgery & Partial Left Ventriculectomy at the End-Stage Heart Disease, Zagreb
- 1995. Olympic sports medicine course - health committee of the International Olympic Committee, Zagreb
- 1995. Laparoscopic hernioplasty, Zagreb
- 1995. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy, Zagreb
- 1994 Orthopedic Summer School, Helsinki, Finland
FIELDS OF SPECIAL PROFESSIONAL INTEREST
- Emergency surgical conditions in children
- Childhood burns and traumatology
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery in children
- Pediatric dermatosurgery
- Pediatric vascular anomalies
- Laser application in pediatric dermatosurgery
- Sports medicine and anti-doping
- Lecturer at the Higher Coaching School of the Faculty of Kinesiology, University of Zagreb - Basketball Coach
- invited lecturer for several postgraduate studies and courses of the first category:
2014 International burn instructional course
2009 Organization of burn care in the Republic of Croatia and modern treatment of burns
2006 Sports traumatology
2001 - 2014 Mother and child protection
2001 to date: lecturer to students at the Department of Pediatric Surgery at the MEF at the Clinic for Pediatric Diseases Zagreb
OTHER MEDICAL EXPERIENCES
1993 - 1996 Sport’s physician of the A and B Croatian senior basketball selection
1995 - 2012 Sport’s physician of the Cibona Zagreb basketball team
2012 - 2015 Sport’s physician of rugby club HARK Mladost Zagreb
1994 to date Sport’s physician of the Croatian Basketball Association
PARTICIPATION IN THE HOMELAND WAR
- Croatian Homeland War defender / medical volunteer
- Member of the Homeland War Medical Volunteer’s Association 1990/91
View detailed CV
Articles of the author: Zoran BarčotAll articles by the author
No article found
Online clinics and doctors
Download the LittleDot app
- Find a doctor – expert who you wish to contact for advice
- There is always somebody online and ready to help
- Access to doctors you can trust 24/7, no matter where you are